Logon to the web portal
Logging onto the web portal can be done via one of the following methods:
- A username/password combination
- Active Directory / Single sign-on / Windows Authentication
- Third-party login provider via oAuth
Username / Password logon
HelpMaster ClientID / Password
Helpmaster has it’s own security model built-in. Staff and Clients can login to the Web Portal using their HelpMaster credentials as follows;
- Open a compatible web browser e.g. Edge, Chrome, Firefox (Internet Explorer Is NOT compatible)
- In the address text box, enter the URL as per the IIS bindings for your HelpMaster web portal
- Click the Log in hyperlink at the top right. Enter your HelpMaster ClientID and password to log in and start using the Web Portal
Forgotten HelpMaster Password
- Click the Forgot password link
- Enter your email address and click Email Link button
- An email will be sent to your address with a link to reset your password
Active Directory / Windows Username / Password
It is possible to also enable logging in with your Windows username and password when not on the Intranet / Domain, but there are security risks associated with this option. See how to configure this option and the security risks here.
Active Directory / Single sign-on / Windows Authentication
If you have configured the Web Portal to use Staff only Windows authentication, you can bypass the default login page by doing the following;
- Log on to Windows using your usual Windows network logon. (Important! This Windows account should already be associated with your corresponding HelpMaster user. See Active Directory Module Overview)
- Open a compatible web browser like Edge, Chrome, or Firefox
- In the address text box, enter the base URL of the web portal followed by /winlogin. The URL may also include a page that is behind the logon screen for your web portal and browse to it using the additional suffix ?ReturnUrl=xxxxxx. If Active Directory / Windows Authentication has been configured correctly, you should be taken to that page and automatically logged on with the user that is currently logged onto Windows. eg.
If your web base URL is https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com, then browsing to that page will take you to the unauthenticated Home page, however browse to any other page behind the logon screen using the /winlogin?ReturnUrl=xxxxxx suffix will attempt a Windows logon and take you to that page if successful.
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com||Base Home page||No|
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com/winlogin?ReturnUrl=Explorer||Job Explorer page||Yes|
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com/Explorer||Job Explorer page||No|
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com/winlogin?ReturnUrl=Catalogs||Request catalog page||Yes|
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com/Catalogs||Request catalog page||No|
Same as for Staff only above except that step 3 above is not necessary. Browsing directly to any page except the public facing /KnowledgeBase page will automatically login all Staff and Client users logged into the Domain / Windows network. eg.
If your web base URL is https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com, then browsing to that page will automatically log you in and go to the Home page. Browsing to any other page behind the home page will also attempt a Windows logon and take you to that page if successful.
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com||Base Home page||Yes|
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com/Explorer||Job Explorer page||Yes|
|https://servicedesk.wizbangwidgets.com/Catalogs||Request catalog page||Yes|
The web portal also allows for logging in via third-party provider accounts such as Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc… See the first link below or click on the heading for details on configuring these providers.
To log off, simply click the Log out hyperlink located at the top-right of the browser window.
It is highly recommended that you end the session by using the Log out hyperlink, otherwise the web license being used will not be freed, and your session will remain active on the IIS server. Clearing cookies before closing your browser will end the session but the HelpMaster database will still show you as being logged in and the license will not be available until you are properly logged out.
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.